---

*From: Stefan Merten* <smerten oekonux.de> Reply-To: list-en oekonux.orgTo: list-en oekonux.orgCc: Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de>Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:57 AM
--------* From: Patrick Anderson* <agnucius gmail.com> Reply-To: list-en oekonux.orgTo: list-en oekonux.orgDate: Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:14 PM
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de> wrote:
Stefan,
I agree the money we use right now is terrible.
The debt-based, fiat currencies that almost every nation rents fromthe international bankers (such as the US Federal Reserve Note) havemassive problems, but does that really mean all forms of money wecould ever devise are certain to be bad?
 Money is a structural force used to force your will onto others.
Within the current situation we find ourselves, I see part of what youmean here, but could a new kind of money ever be created that remained'fair' and allowed peers to pay each other to perform specializedtasks?
Similarly, are you saying that P2P must not include barter?
Must a P2P society not allow specialization?  Must we each do all workof every type for ourselves?  If so, then what is the point of gettingtogether in the first place?
I'm not saying that is what you claim, I am just trying to understandwhat you mean.
* Scarcity vs. ampleness>>  Money is based on scarcity. In fact in a way it encodes scarcity as>  a societal concept to a so-called real abstraction. In fact money>  which is not scarce in some way simply makes no sense. If I am>  allowed to create arbitrary amounts of money at every time why>  should I require the money of others at all?
That is currently true for the international bankers who issuecurrency whenever they please, but that problem could be fixed whendesigning a new currency by backing it (issuing it against) somethingreal such as Capital or Labor.
* Force needed to keep vs. built-in sustainability>>  I said that money encodes scarcity as a general principle of>  society. However, money being an abstraction is not scarce by itself>  - everybody can print more dollars. Thus scarcity must be enforced>  by some external means. Typically this is done by the state. In>  effect each money system needs a forceful super-structure to keep it>  running.
That appears to be true as we examine the system we currently strugglewithin, but I have some ideas (and I know others do) about how to makea currency meaningful between peers without relying upon an enforcingstate.
* Abstract vs. concrete>>  One of the central features of money is that it is abstract. Money>  is not related to any concrete thing - which you easily understand>  when you look at the global flow of money compared to the global>  flow of goods.
That is currently true of the debt-based fiat currencies, but again,could design a new type of money without such a problem?
 Money based production is based on a orientation on exchange value:>  You produce because you want to exchange your product for money. The>  product itself does not matter to you and it is totally sufficient>  to produce relative quality and relative use.
That is true for the exchange of product, but what about the exchangeof LABOR?  In other words, is specialization an important part of PeerProduction, and will it be ok to compensate each other for tradingjobs (you bake bread while I thresh the wheat)?  Or must we each livea solitary existence with no exchange whatsoever?  I'm not saying thatis your claim, I am asking if it is.
 In peer production projects on the other hand the very reason of a>  project is producing use value. Why should a peer production exist>  at all otherwise?
Producing for use value is, in my opinion, the primary driving forcebehind Peer Production.  I think independent Free Software developersare working because they are the initial CONSUMER of what theyproduce, NOT because they wish to donate their time and effort toothers.
They are applying their skills to scratch their own itch.  Allowingothers to copy that solution is a minor factor, and is also somewhatselfish (in a good way) in that it is probably mostly to gain somefriends and fame.
Sincerely,Patrick[Quoted text hidden]
--------* From: Samuel Rose* <samuel.rose gmail.com> Reply-To: list-en oekonux.orgTo: list-en oekonux.orgDate: Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:18 PM
[Converted from multipart/alternative]
[1 text/plain]Patrick, you raise some good questions. maybe you are using the Socraticmethod here. If not, then I think if we are saying "p2p must (fill in theblank here") then we are not describing a p2p system of any type, since allparticipation is voluntary in p2p systems, and all rules emerge in some wayfrom the network of peers who make up the system.
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius gmail.com>wrote:[Quoted text hidden]--Sam RoseSocial SynergyTel:+1(517) 639-1552Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451AIM: Str9960Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samroseskype: samuelroseemail: samuel.rose gmail.comhttp://socialsynergyweb.com/services

Related Sites/Blogs/Projects:OpenBusinessModels: http://socialsynergyweb.net/cgi-bin/wiki/FrontPagehttp://p2pfoundation.nethttp://blog.p2pfoundation.nethttp://www.cooperationcommons.comhttp://barcampbank.orghttp://communitywiki.orghttp://openfarmtech.orgInformation Filtering:http://ma.gnolia.com/people/srose/bookmarkshttp://del.icio.us/srosehttp://twitter.com/SamRose

[2 text/html][Quoted text hidden]
--------* From: Michel Bauwens* <michelsub2004 gmail.com> Reply-To:list-en oekonux.orgTo: list-en oekonux.orgCc: Stefan Merten <smerten oekonux.de>, Kevin Carson <free.market.anticapitalist gmail.com>Date: Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:05 AM
[Converted from multipart/alternative]
[1 text/plain]Thank you Stefan, for initiating this important debate.
I'll participate under the caveat that I'm no expert in economics.