[ox-en] Re: == Currency Based on CPU and Man Hours (for Digital Goods) ==

In replying to why a currency is needed

<<
We need to recoup the cost of production in order to produce more.

In order to recoup, some one needs to give us something back and that
something should allow us to produce more, so if it's "man
hours" that we need to recoup we'd get "man hour" tokens back (so we
can trade them for man hours, i.e. work, from a producer who has a
surplus of man hours, i.e. a lot of free time) and if it's "cpu hours"
we need to recoup then we'd get back "cpu hour" tokens and we can pay
them to someone with "cpu hour" surplus (a server that's not fully
utilized) to use their machine as part of our production (over P2P)

Money paid for digital goods and services does not lead to ownership.
It simply enables further production.

The way the tokens are created and managed is the same way as in the
P2P Energy Economy, i.e. based on increase in the flow of "cpu hour"
and "man hour" from peers with surplus to peers with deficit. No
change in the algorithm or how money is created but now you have two
types of tokens, one for paying back humans so they can recoup and
produce more (by hiring other humans with surplus man hours) and one
for paying back machines so they can produce more (by utilizing other
machines with surplus cpu hours)

My intent is to build P2P trading software to enable sustainable
abundance in digitally produced goods and services (open software,
open music, open CAD models, open SL models, open Spice models, open
Matlab models)

So to summarize, you need to recoup the cost of production in man
hours and cpu hours so you can produce more. Trading with "Cpu hours"
and "man hours" as currency  let's you do that for digitally produced
goods and services such that producers don't need a Donate button and
Big Corporate sponsors.

The joule token scheme in P2P Energy Model, while being much more
universal, is a climb up a very steep hill, in that it's hard for
people to imagine measuring human work in joules or measuring
computational work in joules, and while both are very possible the
complexity of the model needed to enable universal energy token for
all types of work is far bigger than the complexity (or lack of) when
using specialized currencies such as the "man hour" token and the "cpu
hour" token for human and computer work, respectively, and not just
any kind of machine work.

The "cpu hour" currency has the same characteristics as the joule
token: fixed work value and increasing use value over time, which
promotes a trend toward higher computational efficiencies over time,
i.e abundance in compute power.

The "man hour" currency is based on a loose standard (e.g. in the
software industry) where people generally know how many man hours a
given development task will take. It's been called "mythical" because
software project estimation is normally done for staged development
processes where the plan goes to hell the minute programmers run into
unexpected issues. Estimation based on SCRUM style sprints tends to be
more accurate. But in any case, the "man hour" as currency allows
price variability based on estimation of time it take the average
developer to accomplish some task, not based on demand and supply. If
the supply is large then the man hour estimate will not go down. If
the supply is limited the man hour estimate will not go up. Thus, in
the latter case, it does not enforce scarcity.  And it promotes
abundance in human productivity by allowing the flow of work capacity
from people with surplus to people with deficit.

I hope to produce this new "dual currency" model for digitally
produced goods and services fairly soon and then a P2P app for trading
"cpu hour" and "man hour" can be built based on that, or at least the
spec for it can be developed.

Need to attend to my other project, but will check back here as often as I can.

hope this is helpful

Marc