Re: [ox-en] There is no such thing as "equal exchange" - respect instead of money

Hi

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld sympatico.ca>wrote:

Stefan Noack wrote:

"Trust points" is something that seems self-contradicting to me. Trust
is always relative. If person A gets trust from B the value of that
trust cannot be quantified by any of them. Of course. B could quantify
how good the trust in A is but those values can _never_ be summed up
to a value that appers as a "score" of A.

Yes they can. In fact, this is pretty much what nowadays 'social network'
sites use to give some 'ranking'. It's an elaborate 'web of trust', where
people declare some form of confidence in their peers. (What precisely that
is supposed to measure is dependent on the specific web in question.) Lots
of research has gone into the question of how to make such networks safe
against intruders.

If I were a third person C and i neither knew A or B. The fact that B gave a
certain numerical amount of "trust points" to A would not let me evaluate
how A would comply to my personal standard that would define my trust in A
that i had if i knew A personally. However the system that i suggested would
directly give me all i need to do this: A could show me by _whom_ he is
respected and most important: for what he is respected. i can verify his
certificates by cryptographic means on a p2p basis if i know the public keys
of the certificate issuers (of course the public keys must be 'trusted' in a
way that i know they are belonging to real persons, too - this cryptographic
trust that prevents fake certificates is a rather technical detail and shall
not be confused with social respect)

grüße

stefan