Re: [ox-en] Marginalism - the religion

meant: ... then human beings can focus on creativity and cooperation and
less on survival and competition

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:58 PM, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi gmail.com> wrote:

You cannot marginalize friction in a given system. If you do, you will
eventually come to a screeching halt.

But what I'm saying is the holistic cost of digital goods and services,
which I listed in five bullets, are not merely friction, they're more like
gravity...

It does not mean we cannot fly or move about. We just have to realize that
we need a continuous supply of energy at a sufficient conversion rate to
counter friction and/or gravity.

There has been millions of otherwise good thinkers (including some
brilliant software engineers I know and I would suspect some physicists) who
have attempted a modern day version of perpetual motion design, and realized
the laws of physics have not yet changed their mind.

So marginalizing gravity is an even more dead ended way. Socializing (or
distributing the cost of friction to all wheels in equal manner) does not
marginalize cost. It simply distributes it evenly.

I think that if the five costs I listed are socialized then human beings
can focus on creativity and competition and less on survival and
competition.

Marc