Re: [ox-en] Project / Book

Hello friends,

Just two comments on the very interesting discussion. I agree with Raoul that a book consisting of chapters written by different authors makes better sense. The result, of course, need not necessarily be a collection of disjointed, non-connected texts. A 'monolithic' design, in my opinion is not a precondition for logical coherence in the general argumentation; a modular design could also work. The chapters could thus be grouped conceptually based on their theme: for example, in such broad, yet clear, categories as peer production, peer property and peer governance.

The popular vs. academic style question is also important, as it is concerned with the goals of this effort. Independently of our personal preferences, I reckon the question of form depends on the 'organisation of contributions'. Meaning: if it's decided to invite contributions from people like Benkler, the outcome will obviously be academic. (Not that there is anything wrong with academic works per se or Benkler). I think this is something we should consider. On the other hand, I suppose we could ask contributing authors - regardless of whether their contributions are to be invited directly or solicited through an open call for chapters - to keep in mind that the purpose is to expose their texts to as many people outside of the academia as possible, and so advise them, for instance, to abstain from long lists of references, and so forth.

george