[ox-en] About (online) communities

Hi list!

16 months (497 days) ago Michel Bauwens wrote:
 I may not know the dynamics of such sharing communities - BTW: are
 they really communities at all? - well enough but to me it looks more
 like self-realization (ending up in the individual) than
 Selbstentfaltung (ending up in society). The act of sharing in these
 communities is just an add-on to an otherwise very individualist
 pattern. I publish my photos on Flickr because I need a place to show
 them to some friends.

This is an important insight. It all depends on how you define
communities I suppose, but I believe they are generally much weaker in
sharing communities, which is why I think they seem unable to take
care of their own platforms.

Because the definition of the term community is so crucial I
reproduce a translated version of a post_ I sent to [ox-de] eight years
ago.

.. _post: http://www.oekonux.de/liste/archive/msg04048.html

It consists of an excerpt from an article in the German computer
magazine c't issue 11/2001 p.92 by Dr. Nicola Döring. The article is
about online communities ("Netzwärme im Ausverkauf --
Online-Communities zwischen Utopie und Profit"). Translation is by me.

=== 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< === 8< ===

However, since the mass access to the Internet it became clear that
the creation of virtual communities is subject to much more and more
serious problems than expected before:

* **Myth self-organization**: While Barlow still dreamt of a new
  "civilization of mind" [Zivilisation des Geistes] surfers today
  complain about how uncivilized and mindless many online forums are
  and request more consequent punishments.

* **Myth egality**: It turned out that net communities are not free of
  discrimination: racism, nationalism and sexism are shown sometimes
  especially open and aggressive.

* **Myth knowledge creation**: The number of new insights online
  discourses deliver is limited, because more often than not laymen
  and wannabe experts discuss with themselves. Sometimes even
  dangerous ideologies are cultivated as Sonia Worotynek showed for a
  mailing list of nannies [Tagesmütter] where to reduce the work load
  was more important than the needs of the children.

* **Myth participation**: The huge majority of community members never
  speaks up and stays passive - as for the TV so for the computer
  monitor.

* **Myth democratization**: If net users engage online at all then they
  rarely pursue democratic / emancipatory goals. In practice
  unpolitical or even anti-democratic engagement seems to be more
  typical. [http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/special/pol/8001/1.html]

* **Myth creation of ones personality**: Most users do not notice any
  changes in their personality in the sense of raised self-awareness
  because of their online activities. Internet addiction - that is an
  excessive use minimizing other fields of life and experienced as a
  loss of inner richness - applies to three percent and seven percent
  are in danger.

However, the demystification of cyber Utopias should not lead to a
rejection of the net but should be a reason for an active and
reflected creation of and participation in online communities.

Measure of community
====================

Beyond revolutionary pathos, expected earnings, cultural pessimism and
personal anecdotes the social science research systematically tries to
discover whether and where communities came into being from online
forums. There are different approaches:

* **Virtual settlement**: The *communication science* theory of the
  virtual settlement by Quentin Jones
  [http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol3/issue3/jones.html] says that only
  with a minimum of communication events one can say that an online
  forum really created a virtual community. This is there need to be
  a) multiple communicators of which b) some engage as regular members
  over a longer period and c) to a visible extent publish forums in
  the public part of the forum which d) relate to each other. By this
  criteria a mailing list which is used exclusively for distribution
  of information can be distinguished from a mailing list community.

* **Virtual culture**: According to this *sociological* approach a
  virtual community is not only defined by the communication among a
  fixed core of regular members, but also that the communication to
  some degree also is about the community building itself
  [http://www.aluluei.com]: The existence of commented member lists,
  written behavior guidelines, reports from experiences, myths,
  rituals, citation gatherings, insider jargon, [Klatschgeschichten]
  or photo albums proves that the members of a forum establish an own
  communication culture and this way as a community distinguish
  themselves from other forums. In practice extensive welcome
  messages, FAQs or starter courses for newbies emphasize that in the
  forum a certain culture is maintained.

* **Common identity**: This approach focuses on the *psychological*
  theory of the experience of each of the community members. The more
  all participants identify with the forum or its functions,
  respectively, the stronger the respective community is. Such a
  collective identification is independent from concrete relationships
  to other members of the community.

  For instance because of their passion for MUDding MUD players feel
  as being a community and distinguish themselves from chatters. The
  MUD gives them an even stronger feeling of community than their home
  country, that is their MUD identity is stronger than theit national
  identity.

  Religious communities or scientific communities are kept together by
  common values and goals, too, and not by all members living together
  all day which in romantic ideas of community often is described as a
  necessary precondition.

* **Common bond**: A common, mental [ideelle] identification is only
  one aspect of the experience of community. Belonging, feeling save
  [Geborgenheit] and support [Rückhalt] come from concrete
  relationships to other members of the community as the common bond
  approach emphasizes. Both types of social glue are necessary because
  often communities have a fractal structure: The belonging to the the
  world community of believers (common identity) and the embedding in
  the local church community (common bond) complete each other. And
  the identification with the AOL, IRC or MUD community is becoming
  stronger by the social binding to other members in the own regular
  AOL chat, favorite channel or favorite MUD.

  The personal bindings between the single members are the more
  important for keeping the community the less overall common topics
  there are. For instance you will leave the off topic channel
  #flirtcafe if others get on your nerves - in the end flirting you
  can do anywhere. On the other hand you will more likely stay in the
  on topic channel #linux.ger to continue to participate in the Linux
  community.

Repeated measurements in the same forum allow to track changes in a
community. Also comparisons between different online forums as well as
between online and offline communities are possible using the
community indicators mentioned above.