[ox-en] News about Open Data

Hi!

The following news are from the Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter.

------- Forwarded Message

Subject:  [okfn-announce] Open Knowledge Foundation Newsletter No. 14
Date:  Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:01:12 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED]

[...]

LAUNCH OF THE PANTON PRINCIPLES
================================

We're delighted to announce the Panton Principles for Open Data in Science which were launched on February 19th:

  http://www.pantonprinciples.org/

The principles themselves state that legal status of scientific datasets should be made explicit and that content licenses are not appropriate for data. They strongly discourage non-commercial licenses and strongly encourage dedication to the public domain. You can endorse the principles at:

  http://pantonprinciples.org/endorse/

The first draft of Panton Principles was written in July 2009 by Peter Murray-Rust, Cameron Neylon, Rufus Pollock and John Wilbanks at the Panton Arms on Panton Street in Cambridge, UK, just down from the Chemistry Faculty where Peter works. They were then refined with the help of the members of the Open Knowledge Foundation Working Group on Open Data in Science.

We'd greatly appreciate any help in disseminating the principles - including blogging, microblogging and forwarding to relevant people!

[...]

DRAFT OF OPEN DATA COMMONS ATTRIBUTION LICENSE

Early January 2010 saw the release of an Open Data Commons draft of the new attribution license, specifically aimed at data and databases. We would warmly welcome feedback on the new draft, and all and any help in circulating it to relevant parties (including legal experts, prospective users and so on)! The draft is available here:

  http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/by/

A commentable version of the text is available here:

  http://www.co-ment.net/text/2091/

Meanwhile, for anyone who is interested, we've recently started a CKAN group for public finance data packages:

  http://ckan.net/group/wdmmg

There are 26 packages listed so far, and as well as the group we've started a 'reading list' for key official documents and secondary sources on UK Government finance on the OKF wiki:

  http://wiki.okfn.org/wdmmg

[...]

------- End of Forwarded Message