Re: [ox-en] Centralized peer production

Hi Patrick, StefanMz, all!

Last week (9 days ago) Patrick Anderson wrote:
Stefan Merten wrote:
The example [of centralized production]
I'm usually using is that of the Linux kernel.

Stefan Meretz wrote:
To me the linux kernel is an example for a
_decentralized_ peer production

You are both correct.

This confusion arises when we don't differentiate between the Type of
a thing and one specific Instance (or copy) of that thing.

Well, I was talking about the production *process* and not the
product.

But in fact you are right insofar that we need to distinguish between
the centralized development of the kernel led by Linus Torvalds and
the decentralized production (aka copying) of productive kernel
instances done by massively automated facilities (computers, Internet,
installers).

In fact in my original post I was wrong because I neglected the
decentralized part of the production of the kernel. That probably was
because this decentralized part is in many respects part of the common
infrastructure. At the very least you can say that it normally happens
"subconscious" (for instance while installing a GNU/Linux
distribution).

The longer I think about it I think this aspect of a generalized
infrastructure being able to produce the phyiscal artifacts is an
important thing. May be transport facilities can be a bridge when
there is no such infrastructure.

When I neglect the decentralized part then I still think the Linux
kernel is an example of a centralized production.