Re: [ox-en] floss enforcement/compliance

On 25 Feb 2004, auskadi tvcabo.co.mz wrote:

Hi all

I am trying to find out some information regarding
enforcement/compliance issues.

I understand from the FSF in the US that they deal with enforcement
and compliance of the GPL. But do they (and I presume with the support
of Prof Moglen) only do it within the US. That is within their
jurisdiction?

I suppose another way of asking that is : does for example the FSF
Europe deal with compliance/enforcement issues within Europe?  I am
aware of the fiduciary agreements that they have.

From my readings of the FSFE stuff, they would do the same thing in the
event they were approached. [Donate to FSF-E! Write your MEP!]

Who deals with them outside of Europe and the US?

Isn't there an FSF in Japan?

Do other groups (ie other than the FSF) deal with compliance and
enforcement issues?

Do they all do it in the softly softly manner of the FSF?

Walk softly, and carry a big stick. If you do not accept the GPL as
valid, you only have the rights granted you under standard copyright
law; the Berne convention is recognised nearly everywhere, and breach of
copyright is far easier to prove and get injunctions on before needing
to prosecute. That's an important point, by the way - for patent
breaches getting an injunction can be very hard, and so during the
(long, expensive) trial the defendant can continue infringing the patent.

Is anyone out there not using "licences" at all but trying to posiiton
their software within realms of trust, equity or fiduciary
relationships rather than IP?

People used to. I've got code that was just being passed around amongst
coders back in the day. Nowadays, I wouldn't use it except for an
"only-on-my-laptop" test piece, because of the IP issues involved.

cheers, Rich

Thanks
Martin

--
rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |