Message 00017 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Mission statement (was: Request for comments)

Hello everyone,

I also gave it a try in an attempt to synthesise the two mission statements into one. Basically I removed the terms I didn't like: semi-scientific (what does this really mean?), transdisciplinary (from what i know, not even academics like this term), pluralistic (I'd prefer libertarian or participative or inclusive/open) and made some minor changes here and there....and so i got this:

---This journal is dedicated to the critical study of peer production, by which term we understand a mode of self-managed production in which participation is voluntary and predicated on the self-selection of tasks, as for example observed in the collaborative development of free software projects or wikipedia. The aim of the journal is, through research and analysis of the forms and functions of peer production in contemporary capitalist society, to open up new perspectives on its implications for social change.---

To facilitate cross-comparison, here are the two previous mission statements:

Mission statement 1
  >This semi-scientific journal is dedicated to study peer production.
  >By peer production we understand economic activities which include,
  >production, openness and {are primarily done by volunteers /
  >external structural forces are absent / non-alienation} such as Free
  >Software or Wikipedia. Following the principles of peer production
  >ourselves we are interested in every field where peer production
  >plays a role. For this we welcome contributions from classical
  >science as well as from activists of all kinds to foster the deeper
  >understanding of this phenomenon and the political implications it
  >might have.

mission statement 2
This pluralistic and transdisciplinary research journal is dedicated to
the critical study of peer production, i.e. the social and economic
production of value through self-aggregating communities in every field
of human endeavour, with special interest for its inter-relation with
markets and state forms.

Regards,

george

Message 00017 [Homepage] [Navigation]