Message 00156 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: Multi-rating mode of evaluation / Updating papers (was: Re: [jox] Pot-pourri)

Why would editorial rating allow us to publish more papers? Since this is
not a paper publication, we can publish as many as we want anyway.
Editorial rating would allow us to publish some papers, but grade them
poorly, flagging them as 'barely good enough'. We shouldn't do this. We
should publish only papers that we agree are fit for publication.

Reader ratings are different. That might useful form of feedback.

As for changes, I rather give authors a possibility to reply to the
feedback they get after publication. It's more transparent. If they want to
publish a substantially new version, they can do so as a new paper.

I think one of the things a journal is really valuable for is not just
putting things out, but providing long-term stability to a publication and
thus serve also a record of the evolution of thought.

Felix