Message 00498 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Special issue for CSPP: DRAFT!!!

[PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], good work!!

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Johan Söderberg
<johan.soderberg sts.gu.se>wrote:

Hi everyone,

Me and Alessandro Delfanti are editors of one of the projected, special
issues for CSPP. We have sketched the following draft (this is not the
call!!!). We hereby submit it to the many eyeballs on this list. Comments,
suggestions, and corrections are welcome.

Johan & Alessandro

Expanding the frontiers of hacking
Bio-punks, open hardware, and hackerspaces

Edited by: Johan Söderberg and Alessandro Delfanti
Call: abstract 500 words
Both theoretical and empirical contributions accepted

During the past two decades, hacking has chiefly been associated with
software development. This is now changing as new walks of life are being
explored with a hacker mindset, thus bringing back to memory the origin of
hacking in hardware development. Now as then, the hacker is characterised by
an active approach to technology, undaunted by hierarchies and established
knowledge, and finally a commitment to sharing information freely. In this
special issue of Critical Studies in Peer Production, we will investigate
how these ideas and practices are spreading. Two cases which have caught
much attention in recent years are open hardware development and garage
biology. The creation of hacker/maker-spaces in many cities around the world
has provided an infrastructure facilitating this development. We are looking
for both empirical and theoretical contributions which critically engage
with this new phenomenon. Every kind of activity which relates to hacking is
potentially of interest. Some theoretical questions which might be discussed
in the light of this development include, but are not restricted to, the
politics of hacking, the role of lay expertise, how the line between the
community and markets is negotiated, how development projects are managed,
and the legal implications of these practices. We welcome contributions from
all the social sciences, including science & technology studies, design and
art-practices, anthropology, legal studies, etc.

Interested authors should submit an abstract of 500 words by June 30, 2011.
Authors of accepted papers will be notified by July 31. All papers will be
subject to peer review before being published. Abstracts should be sent to
xxxx xxxx.xx

Critical Studies in Peer Production (CSPP) is a new open access, online
journal that focuses on the implications of peer production for social
change. http://cspp.oekonux.org______________________________