Message 00648 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Free Software Special Issue

Ah, but our SC members are unusual in that they are all committed to helping the project and very diligent in delivering reviews - most of those for issue 1 came back in a few weeks. if you explain the situation people understand and do their best to meet deadlines - though I guess you will be getting outside reviewers too

you're right, but the lenght of the review process also depends on how many reviewers we need. let's say we have 4 good papers = 8 or 12 reviewers, all experts on more or less the same subject... this was worrying us even before you said you wanted it for december :)

again, I am certainly willing to try and make it for december, and i'm sure johan as well will work hard to match the deadline. i dont think it's impossible.

but as a special issue you have special problems here: what if one author is late? what if one reviewer is late? what if, which is very likely, one paper needs major revisions? that would stop the whole issue and not only one paper.

if i were you, mathieu, I would have a Plan B: 2/3 papers and 2/3 short articles for the debate section ready for december. if we make it for december with our issue, you move them to june and the next special issue to next december. of course you can also decide to publish the december special issue say in january o february 2012, if something happens.

anyhow i guess these are normal problems when you start a new journal...

i mean, we MIGHT make it for december, and we can certainly try, but i
wouldn't bet on having everything in time...

Well, the problem is, what is the alternative?...
We have one non-special issue paper submission and that's it, so far. In my view our next three issues should focus on having solid dossiers on biohack, floss, and organisation.
Then we we could just skip December, but that might not be a good look...

cheers
Mathieu

ciao

On 06/29/11, Mathieu ONeil  <mathieu.oneil anu.edu.au> wrote:
> [Converted from multipart/alternative]
>
> [1 text/plain]
> Hi Maurizio, all
>
> Very interesting call, though I am not clear if it will in fact be released as a CFP. It sounds as if you only want to approach people directly - is that right? > Substantively I don't know what is meant by the epistemology of hacking or the critique of the premises of software development as a professional and research practice (other than male / middleclass / white) so I cant comment on whether this is more relevant than the extension of commons and less hierarchy impact of FLOSS..
>
> cheers,
> Mathieu
>
> On 06/29/11, Maurizio Teli  <maurizio maurizioteli.eu> wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I send you teh text Vincenzo and myself have prepared for the special
> > issue on Free Software.
> >
> > Two main points:
> >
> > - we have thought of an invitation based issue, with papers co-authored
> > by social scientists and computer scientists; if someone among you wants
> > to participate or suggest some potential contributor, we will be happy
> > to include them;
> >
> > - we were thinking about inviting David Golumbia to the debate section
> > of this special issue before the AIR-L debate; we are once more
> > convinced of how a piece by him can be useful but we would like to have
> > your opinion before inviting him.
> >
> > Below you find the short introduction that we will share with the
> > invited contributors (so we have to check their availability too) and a
> > list of names of contributors both for the research papers and the
> > debate papers. Feel free to make any suggestion. We can reasonably
> > expect the issue to be ready in May 2012.
> >
> > Best
> >
> > M.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > The Critical Power of Free Software: from Intellectual Property to
> > Epistemologies?
> >
> > From the perspective of social organization, Free Software can  be
> > conceived as a form of critique by adaptability and modifiability, as
> > pointed out by anthropologist Christopher Kelty, standing outside
> > institutionalized forms of power and providing working alternatives as
> > critical tools. Starting from such kind of understanding, Free Software
> > has been interpreted as a form of critique toward consolidated
> > capitalistic tropes and contemporary forms, like the extension of
> > Intellectual Property toward any kind of common pool resources or the
> > forms of organization of labour and coordination of distributed
> > developers.
> > Nevertheless, the increasing adoption of Free Software by multi-national
> > corporations is now forecasting the domestication of free software
> > practices by contemporary global capitalism and hierarchical forms of
> > social organization. It happens in particular in the form of the Open
> [...]

Alessandro Delfanti
ICS, Innovations in the Communication of Science
Sissa, Trieste, Italy
delfanti sissa.it
http://people.sissa.it/~delfanti/

  SISSA Webmail https://webmail.sissa.it/