Message 00666 [Homepage] [Navigation]

Re: [jox] Free Software Special Issue

Hi StefanMn and all,

this seems to be a central debate, indeed.

On 2011-07-11 10:58, Stefan Merten wrote:
Nonetheless. My central conviction is this: Peer production is a new
mode of production. *As such* it can not be understood with the tools
which were valid and fine for the previous mode of production -
namely capitalism.
<snip>

I fully agree with what StefanMn wrote with respect to the content.

I also see the necessity of a fundamental change in our perspectives and
categories which thoroughly and ruthlessly done shake up contemporary
thinking. However, saying this it sounds like preaching. One can believe
it or, with higher possibility sticking to the old, doesn't believe it.
The analogy of the transition from feudalism to capitalism is in the end
only -- an analogy. Thus, the process of overcoming our old paradigms
have to be organized, it doesn't emerge from "itself". And the old
thinking will not vanish by "itself". Also speaking for myself, I am not
sure whether I already have overcome the old paradigms, because we only
have the means of thinking that we have, and they are coming from the
old even if you _want_ to overcome it! Dialectically speaking there is
always a unity of breakage and continuum.

Thus, I would draw somewhat different consequences, namely: Let us
organize the debate around these questions, and let us use the journal
for that purpose. My only fear is, that there are only a few persons
openly pushing the "breaking" side forward, so that finally the approach
is completely underrepresented and the debate will not take place.

Ciao,

Start here: www.meretz.de

Message 00666 [Homepage] [Navigation]