Re: [ox-en] Meaning of "prospecting asteroids"

In the GNU manifesto (`http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html') there
is a paragraph reading:

	In the long run, making programs free is a step toward the
	post-scarcity world, where nobody will have to work very hard
	just to make a living. People will be free to devote
	themselves to activities that are fun, such as programming,
	after spending the necessary ten hours a week on required
	tasks such as legislation, family counseling, robot repair and
	asteroid prospecting. There will be no need to be able to make
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	a living from programming.

Now for the question. What does "asteroid prospecting" mean in this
context. There is a German translation talking of "watching"
(`beobachten') but I feel this is a wrong translation. I suppose RMS
talks more of exploiting asteroids by mining their minerals or perhaps
looking for asteroids to mine them afterwards.

Yes, searching for minerals in asteroids (like the gold prospectors
who flooded to California in the 1890s hoping to become rich by
discovering new mines).

Can you help?

I like these easy questions!

Graham
PS you do know that rms is quite consciously anti-marxist (feels
that determinism is an inherent part of marxism)?