RE: [ox-en] Collective Consciousness

<>
I knew I joined this discussion for a reason.  At least this way I get
forced to consider whatever it is I am thinking might be a good idea, and
others can point out the problems.  I was thinking more along the lines of
people being nominated, seconded etc, and then in a kind of rolling vote the
people elect whom they think should do the job.  The Ministry thing would be
a privilege because people think that you are good at what you do.  But
forcing people to vote for everyone would be a reduction in the individual's
rights.  I was thinking more along the lines of everyone has the opportunity
to vote for each office, but is not required to.  That way everyone could
vote for the offices that most affects them.  For instance, me as Joe
Average live in the city.  I would have little interest in voting in the
Minister for Agriculture, but I might find that because I work in a retail
outlet, that I have a vested interest in the Ministry of Trade.  As a
result, I would make my vote for a new Minister of Trade when I felt that
things were getting bad in that area.  The voting system would keep a hold
of my vote until I decided to vote next time.  (I know there are privacy
issues with this, but I am sure that there could be a way of maintaining
anonymity throughout.  Maybe someone with more of idea about this sort of
thing could propose an example).  I would however probably never consider
even casting a vote for any of the nominated Ministers for Agriculture.
This kind of reduces the complexity of the large gov/citizen point.

Take a look at the book "Applied Cryptography" sometime (2nd edition, I've never
looked at the 1st edition so I can't comment on that), which lists several proposals for a
cryptographically secure voting system.