Re: [ox-en] Brave GNU World

Hi Claude and all!

Today I Claude Harper wrote:
What I haven't seen addressed are the fundamental differences between
info-things like software, musical recordings, and physical-things like
food.  A software program can be copied indefinitely to an unlimited number
of people, with neglible cost.  It's benefits are unlimited.  This is
radically different than say an Apple.  Any harvest is finite.  Thereby
giving one the ability to gain power over others by owning all the land or
hoarding up all the harvest.

We don't have hard and fast answers for that until now. (Ahm, for what
*do* we have them at all ;-) .) Personally I'd say, that the
production of information is already the dominant form even in our
societies and particularly at least in industrial production. And - as
you say - information has different features than matter.

A second point: Think of late feudalism where the agriculture seemed
still most important. Do you think someone from say 1751 had have a
chance on what basis society functions in 2001? So at least that it is
difficult to imagine does not mean that it is impossible.

Along those lines, I am not sure about this fully automated, techtopia
thing.
Wouldn't the self-enfolding of food be permaculture instead of
robot-farming?

Is it per se? I think these are pretty individual decisions. I could
imagine both.