Re: [ox-en] Re: Free administration

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Stefan Merten wrote:

It is
power as a representative, since not all people involved in testing
water quality with him would have the same power.

Their opinion is at least to a considerable part reflected in the
Matt's decisions. Well, you may call this a representative - but the
word doesn't mean that type of representation usually, does it?

No, it's another case where the normal use of the word isn't helpful.
But I think it's important that representation in some general sense is
involved. A lot of people have an idea of some future possible democracy
based on the internet being based on continual referenda, where everyone
can say 'yes' or 'no' to all sorts of questions traditionally handled
by governments. In appearance, this would be a direct democracy, without
representation. But in practice, it would be less democratic than a
representative system (representative in the sense of the water example).
Firstly, because if I don't have any knowledge or interest in water
quality, any vote I cast on it is meaningless; secondly because most
questions are too complicated to formulate as a simple 'yes/no'; thirdly,
because it gives the person who sets and chooses  the questions too much
power.
The 'representative' way is not direct democracy in the traditional
(Athenian) sense; it doesn't necessarily involve any actual 'vote' at all;
if you don't call it 'representative', what do you call it?
Is there a German word already ? ;-)

<snip>
I think that example is very similar to a free software project. What
examples of necessary government functions aren't?

Ahm... That question again... Are you trying to say there is no
general difference? Then I agree ;-) .
I understood that you were saying that there was a general difference,
so I was hoping you would give an example.

I think it's possible that there are differences, especially in cases that
effect
the lives of many people in areas where they can't all possibly have much
knowledge of technical details. For example, decisions about nuclear
power stations might be best taken not by nuclear physicists alone.

That implies some mechanism of government not included within the
free software developer's type of structure.

Graham