Re: [ox-en] Open source vs capitalism

Hi Scott and all!

2 days ago Scott Mackinney wrote:
I have been following discussions for a few months and would like to
contribute. I hope this message is not too base for some.

You're welcome :-) .

I see open source/free software as a provider of a superior
alternative, to proprietary code.

Yes. And in Oekonux we - oh sorry, I'm wrong - some say, that's
because of the self-unfolding taking place in the production of Free
Software. That's the (next) resource which increases productivity and
at the same time is fundamentally incompatible with any sort of
alienation such as capitalism and fully compatible with the pursuit of
happiness.

As more people become aware of the
benefits of this type of software the other will dwindle.  I think that
2002 will see the confirmation of this.

I'd really be interested in numbers here. My impression is, that W2K
was not the top-seller M$ wanted it to be and XP seems even less so.
Does anyone have numbers about that? Particularly in relation to
W95/98/ME. BTW: That's not because any anti-M$-ism - however, M$ *is*
the de facto monopoly and so this is the most interesting to look at.

p2p and the consumption of downloaded music bypassing traditonal means
is a good example.

But at the moment that's far from what Free Software is. Actually the
vast majority of P2P-ed music is copyright.

So if a vital resource, in this case, software can
be provided regardless of the profit motive then what should stop other
alternatives being developed.

*That* is an interesting question I still don't have a final answer
to.

Though I don't believe it, software may have some special conditions /
features other information products do not share. Works of art like
music may be an example because the product is usually not patched
like software is. But, then, this may only be the wrong way to look at
it. If you see any kind music in a bigger context, it all results on
inspiration from others.

On the other hand as often pointed out science shares a lot of
principles with Free Software and if production of goods is getting
more and more scientific ("Verwissenschaftlichung") as Marx says and
which seems at least plausible to me, then the principles of Free
Software apply to most if not all of future production.

As I said: A field not very well explored yet.

For example in a few decades we may all
have the technology to grow super foods, on the roofs of our houses, or
something equally strange from outer leftfield.  If this were to
happen, then the traditional sources of food resources would be out of
revenue.

Well, I don't like to grow my own food. Not now and not in forty
years. Frankly I don't understand why many of you want to go back to
basic subsistence all the time. What's bad about a super market if
only the cash desks are removed?

I believe the solution to our lack of freedom can be found on the path
to anarchy, by individuals behaving altruistically in an informed
world, through voluntary actions. I believe that a majority of people
actually want most people to have the best life possible and this is
why most people will behave altruistically.

Well, Free Software is *not* based on altruism. People publishing Free
Software have a range of individual interests in doing so.

BTW: Personally I think if you base a society on altruism you get
nowhere.

The most important next step for open source would be
to provide an unlimited and free source of clean energy.

Isn't this thinking in the tons-ideology of the industrial age? I
don't know.

Sure, abundance makes things easier, but as I tried to point out, I
think scarcity is the problem. And there are lots of ways to fight
scarcity, removing limited supply being only one of them.