Free Software vs Free Music (was: [ox-en] Open source vs capitalism)

Hi

On Monday, 11. February 2002 00:05, Stefan Merten wrote:
Though I don't believe it, software may have some special
conditions / features other information products do not share.
Works of art like music may be an example because the product
is usually not patched like software is.

...because this is forbidden.

When there still was no copyright on music, it was fairly common
to change the melody or text of songs. Even today, this is still
occasionally done, albeit illegaly:

"I tried to run my programs with Windows 95" (to the melody of
"Killing me Softly")

But, then, this may
only be the wrong way to look at it. If you see any kind music
in a bigger context, it all results on inspiration from
others.

...because this is still allowed.

There is no patent on rock music or whatever.

cu
Thomas
 }:o{#