Re: English link page (was: Re: [ox-en] Free project)

"Thomas" == Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller <sloyment gmx.net> writes:

    Thomas> Hi On Friday 31 January 2003 02:07, Chris Croome wrote:
    >> [snip]

    >> OK, I have done this for the first bit of the file, see
    >> attached (not if attachments are banned...). I think it works
    >> quite well.

    Thomas> There is something I like about www.gnu.org and
    Thomas> www.debian.org: The localized versions of these sites are
    Thomas> kept parallel, with foot notes on each page, linking the
    Thomas> corresponding other versions: "This page is available in
    Thomas> [English] [French] [German] [Italian] [Russian] and
    Thomas> [Spanish]"

    Thomas> On the Debian web site, it is even possible to let the
    Thomas> browser select which version to display initially.

    Thomas> To do things like this would require some kind of content
    Thomas> management, and I don't know which solutions are
    Thomas> available. Anyway, it would be pretty cool :o)

From http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html

Content Negotiation

Apache's supports content negotiation as described in the HTTP/1.1
specification. It can choose the best representation of a resource
based on the browser-supplied preferences for media type, languages,
character set and encoding. It also implements a couple of features to
give more intelligent handling of requests from browsers that send
incomplete negotiation information.

Content negotiation is provided by the mod_negotiation module. which
is compiled in by default.

About Content Negotiation

A resource may be available in several different representations. For
example, it might be available in different languages or different
media types, or a combination. One way of selecting the most
appropriate choice is to give the user an index page, and let them
select. However it is often possible for the server to choose
automatically. This works because browsers can send as part of each
request information about what representations they prefer. For
example, a browser could indicate that it would like to see
information in French, if possible, else English will do. Browsers
indicate their preferences by headers in the request. To request only
French representations, the browser would send

Note that this preference will only be applied when there is a choice
of representations and they vary by language.
[End excerpt]

Regards,

-- Raju
--