Re: [ox-en] Patents and Copyright, but what about Trademarks?

Graham

I have to run away for the weekend, but in my current work as a trade mark
attorney I can answer some of this:

On Friday 07 November 2003 12:39, Graham Seaman wrote:
Do you happen to know how far this is a US-internal problem or a global
one? If global, is that just because the US are effectively imposing their
law on everyone else, or because all the local trademark
laws/administrations have the same flaws?

There is a bunch of laws, the old Paris treaty, the new Madrid one and things
like TRIPs that basically mean that all domestic TM laws are fairly
identical. If not the World Bank and Co flies in and fixes them. As happened
here in Mozambique .... I am currently reviewing the proposed amendments to
the Moz. Indust. Pty Code for my new part time job .....

Secondly, is there a simple flaw in trade mark law you'd like to see
removed, or is it just a question of trade marks being badly administered?

I think this one is not to em - what I am questioning is how a bunch of
"commie radicals" think a TM is OK and a copyright is not - or isnt this type
of property theft.

Gotta run, see you on Monday

Martin

--

http://openflows.org/~auskadi/

"Mind you, I am not asking you to bear witness to what you believe false,
which
would be a sin, but to testify falsely to what you believe true - which is a
virtuous act because it compensates for lack of proof of something that
certainly exists or happened."Bishop Otto to Baudolino