Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

On Saturday 06 December 2003 11:20, Benni Baermann wrote:

Sorry, i dont get this. In my experience free software is the best
documented software available on this planet.

Beni for my part I was responidng to Niall's comment which I found quite
interesting from the point of view of seeing the FLOSS community or that part
of it inhabited by the devleopes as a techno elite.

For soemone like em having the source code is next to useless. What I need is
knowledge.  So as someone who has started using FLOSS in the last year or so
and is not a techie I soemtimes find instructions and even books (eg Running
Linux) a little bit difficult.

They all presume some knowledge you can only either get through practice* or
by being initiated into the knowledge by some (more) senior user.

Thus I get something like this below and my eyes just glaze over and even to
do soemthing like this I need a guru to help me rather than just ahving some
plug and play. But I am not complaining

This message is for who has an HP Laserjet 1000 or 1000w and would like to
make it work on a redhat linux system, optionally with samba sharing:

1. follow the instructions on http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/foo2zjs/
   to download and install.

   1.1 sometimes the ./getweb util fails with "Invalid PORT" and retries
       forever so ftp yourself ftp.hp.com:
        $ ftp ftp.hp.com (user: anonymous pwd: your email)

        ftp> cd /pub/softlib/software1/lj1488/lj-1145-2
        ftp> get lj1488en.exe
        ftp> quit

        $ unzip -o lj1488en.exe sihp1000.img  (this will unzip the
firmware
                                               for your printer)

2. connect and power up your printer

3. $ cat sihp1000.img > /dev/usb/lp0     (this will init your printer with
                                          its firmware)

4. use /usr/bin/redhat-config-printer and create a new queue using the Zj
Stream driver

5. test it (make sure cups is running - /sbin/service cups start):
   $ cd <dir where you unpack foo2zjs>
   $ lpr -P <your queue name> testpage.ps (this should print a test page
with
                                           redhat simbol and some infos)
6. if you have the original smb.conf it should share your printes for
samba clients (Windows etc..)

enjoy ;->

* Practice or Prxis and FLOSS is another interesting thing. I think its
relationship to thinking in the sense for example as described by Deleuze
that is as problem solvingis soemthing we could talk about at some time - but
that is another story

--

http://openflows.org/~auskadi/

"Mind you, I am not asking you to bear witness to what you believe false,
which would be a sin, but to testify falsely to what you believe true - which
is a virtuous act because it compensates for lack of proof of something
that certainly exists or happened." Bishop Otto to Baudolino in Umberto Eco's
Baudolino.