Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

On 8 Dec 2003 at 8:28, Martin Hardie wrote:

On Monday 08 December 2003 05:42, Niall Douglas wrote:
 I think RMS has got it very wrong about the GPL indeed and that
whole mantra is dangerous for the quality & innovativeness of
software. But many believe in his mantra because he is considered
one of the elite programmers.

Niall
I am not sure if in this growing thread you have described or
explained what you mean by this mantra. Please help me out MArtin

I mean the dictionary meaning. Let's see:

mantra, A Hindu formula or charm; a Vedic hymm of praise.

Actually I'd been hoping it'd be more than that, but my dictionary is
from the 1960's. I don't get internet access back till tonight so I
can't search there.

Basically, mantra is philosophy but with religious connotations. When
I really want to annoy GPL believers, I start referring to them as
the GPL cult - it's in jest and very serious at the same time. There
is always something unhealthy when a lot of intelligent people
believe something without thinking it through - think fascism,
stalinism etc. - all looked very attractive on the surface only to
find they were awful with experience. I tend to agree with Bertrand
Russell that most of these errors derive from logical typing and I
even agree with Gregory Bateson that such logical typing errors are
the foundation for some kinds of schitzophrenia, especially mass
insanity.

Does that help? ;)

Cheers,
Niall