Re: Documentation Standards was Re: [ox-en] UserLinux

"Martin" == Martin Hardie <auskadi tvcabo.co.mz> writes:

    Martin> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 05:14, Raj Mathur wrote:
    >> The notion of proprietary information has only been around a
    >> hundred years or so (I'm no historian).  Before that all art,
    >> music, technology and writing was free as in freedom.

    Martin> oh come on Raj Proprietary as in copyright has beena round
    Martin> for about 400 plus years and even ebfore hat it might not
    Martin> have been proprietary/copyright but it was controlled
    Martin> always

Copyright actually has nothing to do with freedom.  GPL programs are
copyrighted too -- the issue of freedom only comes up when the rights
to disseminate are restricted.

    Martin> but people still persist in this free as in freedom stuff
    Martin> free as in freedom as in the us means being able to
    Martin> innovate to profit, contract and make and sell property

You're forgetting that there are restrictions on the means by which
one may profit and contract; if the means of garnering profit is
deemed to be anti-social (e.g. stealing your neighbours car or
hoarding fuel in a time of national shortage) then it is just not
permitted.

Hoarding information in today's environment is, IMO, as anti-social as
hoarding fuel during war; it should be as illegal too.

    Martin> Can we move beyond the mantras of the high priests?

Sure, awaiting your proposal for action.

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/
                      It is the mind that moves