Re: [ox-en] Any feedback ? FROM recommendation to Brazilian WSIS delegates

Hi Stefan, Hi Mako, Hi List

James Heald wrote:
> Mary Harney has given a speech launching a brochure on
> Ireland's priorities for the Competitiveness council:
>
> http://dbs.corUntiUntitled 1tled1dis.lu/cgi-bin/srchidadb?CALLER=NHP_EN_NEWS&ACTION=D&SESSION=&RCN=EN_RCN_ID:21416

I'm reading through this document and making notes in preparation for one task at hand, viz: [fsfe-ie] .v. Vapor European Software Patent Legislation.

In the forward to this document Mary Harney writes:

"For the new Member States we wish to ease the way for successful integration" p3 para 1

"European economic reform, as set out in the Lisbon Strategy, serves a number of objectives. These include social inclusion ..." p3 para 4

As I read these fine words I remember similar ones from the Brazilian government which I understand were delivered last month in Geneva at WSIS [1] :

That we support the initiative creating the 'Free Software Brazil Project'
and the projects at state level as necessary intermediaries between the
diverse actors in the Brazilian free software community: governments,
universities, private initiatives, user groups, and free software developers.

That free software is an integral part of the creation of a free, just,
ethical, and inclusive society, in which people have the possibility of
mutually helping one another in solidarity.

That free software respects the need to preserve multilingualism and cultural and sexual identities in cyberspace.

That the freedoms granted to the users of free software allow the possibility
of them escaping from the simple role of consumers of technology to become
active participants in a knowledge society.

That the license policy of proprietary software is unsustainable for the
economies of developing countries.

That the model of free licenses represents an opportunity to reach an equality
of rights in the technological field, shrinking the digital divide, and favouring users with fewer economic resources.

That the development achieved by free software and the potential that it
represents are a clear proof of its strategic function on the way to a knowledge and information society.

That the training of people with free, just, ethical, and inclusive thought
is fundamental for society, and free software is a great catalyst for such values. [2]

It seems to me that Mary should check out these folk and their ideas; they could be of help in the wider task of social integration.

--
Adam

[1] World Summit of Information Society : For further details and details of London feedback meeting 30-01-04 http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-sheffield/2004-January/001143.html

[2] Part of an unnofical translation of "recommendation to Brazilian WSIS delegates" by graham seaman (graham seul.org). http://www.oekonux.org/list-en/archive/msg01565.html

Graham writes: "Please excuse the literalness of the translation - I tried to stay very close to the original" - I am told that the official translators used a heavy filter.