Re: [ox-en] Re: herrschaft

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:09:56PM [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Benja Fallenstein wrote:

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
| FSF is not a software development organization and do not pay
| programmers to work on the GNU project (they basically give them email
| addresses and some basic SourceForge like services to make their
| development of GNU programs easier). OSDL is. FSF doesn't
| really belong as an example in an conversation about paying
| programmers.

That's not true; the FSF has paid individuals and companies before to
develop parts of the GNU project that they wanted to move forward, but
for which they did not find volunteers. Unfortunately, I'm lost for
examples at the moment :(, but I've found the following quote:

~    The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3)
~    charity, like the Red Cross. Like the Red Cross, we ask for
~    donations of money, which we use to pay programmers to write GNU
~    Software.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990428110521/www.fsf.org/help/donate.html

Thanks for clarifying.

Note that my email was in the present tense. You had to go the web
archive to find your example which implies it is no longer the case
(and hasn't been for nearly half a decade or more). Since I've been in
contact with the FSF in 2000 they have had only one technical employee
-- a system administrator -- and the only code they paid for is the
stuff that runs their web page and online store.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill