Re: [ox-en] Nazi in Debian Alert

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Benja Fallenstein wrote:

However, I suspect you'll find him to be a moron and fucking yank.

  I'm not a Moron, and I am a Canadian.

E.g. from http://www.stallman.org/archives/archive-2002.html:

~    I despise Nazism, but I oppose censorship of Nazi views, or any
~    other political views. I would refuse to censor even George Bush if
~    it were up to me. As this case shows, any kind of political
~    censorship threatens the freedom of everyone. Americans concerned
~    about censorship can contribute to the ACLU or the EFF. In the UK,
~    please support FIPR.

I suspect that he'll feel the same way about people with particular
political views he despises being involved in Free Software projects.

  I am glad to see that I have things I can agree with RMS about that is
outside of Free Software itself.

  This is a divisive issue.  One of the things I have liked about the
"commons-based peer production" movement (call it "Open Source", call it
"Free Software", call it "FLOSS", call it "George" -- I don't care even if
RMS does ;-) is that people who otherwise have opposing views and
lifestyles are able to work together towards common goals.

  The more you bring up beliefs that are not in common, the less you are
able to work together with people towards common goals.

  I recognize there are people part of the FLOSS movement who actually
believe that censorship is a valid way to try to eradicate views they
disagree with, but it is a view I simply do not share.  To me the right of
publishing comes a right and a responsibility of reply.  False ideas
should be fought with truth and not censorship -- that censorship only
breeds resentment, hatred, and martyrdom which are all the things it is
claimed to opposed.

  I wish this thread would go away as, if continued, it will mean people
will be less able to work together in this forum towards common goals.

---
 Governance software that controls ICT, automates government policy, or
 electronically counts votes, shouldn't be bought any more than
 politicians should be bought.  -- http://www.flora.ca/russell/