Re: [ox-en] Barriers to entry in writing and programming (was: Germ of a new form of society or germ of a new form of business?

On 4 Feb 2004 at 1:43, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

No, books or writing require vastly less training. Many successful
authors have no training at all.

As someone who makes their living between programming work and writing
work, I think that writing is a specialized skill, like programming.

I learned enough programming to get my first coding job in less than a
month. Learning to write well enough to get published is still
something I struggle with years after trying.

Getting published is hard for one reason only - competition is
intense, not because you are any better or worse a writer than Steven
King or anyone else.

You got your coding job and continue to get coding jobs for one
reason only - it's a market with continuing high growth whereby
average demand outpaces average supply. Your actual ability at it is
an influence, but not as great as your contacts list and your
reputation.

If anything, you've actually just proved my point about low entry
barriers to writing - if the barriers were higher as they are with
computer programming, there'd be far less supply and getting
published would be much easier.

Cheers,
Niall