Re: [ox-en] "The science of persuasion"

* Ref.: »Re: [ox-en] "The science of persuasion"«
*        Per I. Mathisen 	(2004-02-26  22:51)

The more a society is focused on reciprocity, the less it can
be considered a community!

We must be talking past each other.

Oh, yes, quite obviously :-(

I was not aware that there seems to be a common narrow usage of
"reciprocity" for saying "granting each other diplomatic
privileges". (Thanks for making me aware :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity says:

In international relations and treaties, the principle of
reciprocity states that favours, benefits, or penalties,
granted by one state to the citizens of another, should be
returned in kind.

But even this seems to contradict your definition:

... The concept of reciprocity connotates an activity that is
not forced and unequal, but based on voluntary giving of gifts.

How do you conclude reciprocal meant "not forced" and "based on
voluntary giving of gifts"?

 --

For the curious, here are some more findings of mine that did not
really enlighten me regarding your treatment of "reciprocity" --

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=reciprocity

1) the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual
dependence, action, or influence

2) a mutual exchange of privileges; specifically : a
recognition by one of two countries or institutions of the
validity of licenses or privileges granted by the other

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=reciprocal

Etymology: Latin reciprocus returning the same way, alternating

1) a: inversely related : OPPOSITE b : of, constituting, or
resulting from paired crosses in which the kind that supplies the
male parent of the first cross supplies the female parent of the
second cross and vice versa

2) shared, felt, or shown by both sides

3) serving to reciprocate : consisting of or functioning as a
return in kind <the reciprocal devastation of nuclear war>

4) a: mutually corresponding <agreed to extend reciprocal
privileges to each other's citizens> b: marked by or based on
reciprocity <reciprocal trade agreements>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity

In international relations and treaties, the principle of
reciprocity states that favours, benefits, or penalties,
granted by one state to the citizens of another, should be
returned in kind.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=64501&tocid=0&query=reciprocity&ct=

in international trade, the granting of mutual concessions in
tariff rates, quotas, or other commercial restrictions.
Reciprocity implies that these concessions are neither intended
nor expected to be generalized to other countries with which
the contracting parties have commercial treaties. Reciprocity
agreements may be made between individual countries…

Regards,
Casi.