Change and self-unfolding (was: Re: [ox-en] Interview with Peter Lamborn Wilson)

Hi Niall and all!

Last month (47 days ago) Niall Douglas wrote:
Actually not. Peter Lamborn Wilson was a left intellectual anarchist
and one of the foremost in his day. However like a good proportion of
the population, with age he has grown less open to new things and
thus more conservative with time.

Computer programmers, who most of this list's members would be,

I actually do not think this. But never mind.

also
have this innate characteristic. Self-unfolding to me implies always
being open to new ideas and ways of doing things,

I do not think so. A static life style with little / no change can be
self-unfolding as well as as dynamic life style embracing change. In
fact societies before capitalism have been far more static. If
self-unfolding is thought of as a human feature than they had it also
- though they had little chance to change.

I could also easily think of a position which says that if someone
found her*self* then s/he can really *self*-unfold. This self probably
has some stability.

yet a majority of
humans biologically cannot achieve this with age.

I don't think it has anything to do with biology. There are people in
high age who are mentally far more flexible than (far too?) many
youngsters. If biology would have a word here this would not be
possible. Studies show that even in high age you can re-activate
mental capacity in relative short time by a bit of training.

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.