The Lettuce, was Re(2): [ox-en] Opensourcing biologically integrated systems ....

Stefan Merten on Montag, 10. Oktober 2005 at 8:33 Uhr [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] wrote:
He *really* managed to grow lettuce? Wow - unbelievable...

Well, I get a well tasting, cheap, and organic lettuce from my local
organic farmer every two weeks. So it is a bit hard for me to see the
revolutionary aspect of Marcin's accomplishment...

Also I think I already saw books about gardening and I know there is
lots of education on farming and I'm sure you can learn something
about growing lettuce there. Is this taken into account?

1.

The Lettuce is the beginning to work on integrated systems in an Open
Source Way.

No, it is not big deal what he (Marcin) presented so far, but the
structure is different from any copyrighted gardening book.

it is not only OpenSource, it is based on a sound concept of development.
Its there to build a community that shares and at the same times resonates
with experience.

2.

but i
predict that open source industrial processes lead to collapse of mass
production

Which I would consider the biggest catastrophe since the time
industrialized production was invented.

If you look at the real needs and ways and costs of Mass Production you
will find it destructive to health, landscape, planet.

Do not worry again: production by the masses will only happen if superior
examples will convice them. no imposing element!

3.

and reinvention of production by the masses, namely,  of
quality
goods.

Which is what capitalism already introduces for instance in the
countries of the former Soviet Union. So I guess these people all need
only an Internet connection to jump from poverty to unlimited
happiness...

I can only say in those areas capitalism is doing exactly the opposite.
Destroying local productions with superior commodities from world market,
leaving people without income or hope. Certainly they do not get the tools
they need.

And of course the path of high-tech-self-providing needs a lot of
technology which is not there yet. Much of them forged in industrial
centers.

You are welcome to think along:

http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheRealToolshed/Welcome

Franz