[ox-en] GPL society (was: Re: Alternative exchange systems furthering GPL society?

Hi Karel!

2 weeks (14 days) ago Karel Kulhavy wrote:
GPL society? That doesn't make sense for me. GPL is a licence
specifically made for software.

If you talk about society it's vague. What's exactly meant here? How
can I tell if society X is GPL or not?

GPL society is a term coined in Oekonux. It is a name for a society
based on the principles of Free Software and the GPL is a well-known
symbol for these principles.

This name has been criticized from the beginning and in fact a GPL
society would need no more GPL or licenses at all. However, this term
is far better than any other term because it provokes questions like
yours and from the term alone people have no idea of what it means and
thus they can not interpret it wrongly.

For contrast take the term "global village" coined by FranzN. IMHO
this is really a bad term because regardless of what FranzN thinks it
means everyone immediately has a vision of what it could be - because
everybody knows what a village is and has an idea of global. I for one
for instance would imagine the destruction of cities - since they are
not villages - and thus destructing modern life.

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.