Re: [ox-en] Re: GNU/Linux distributions and commerce

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:15:01 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] Franz Nahrada wrote:

But if Oekonux shall lead us somewhere we must ask about the relation of
both parts and the different ways communities sustain themselves,
maintaining their fundamental independence from commercial interests, yet
keeping the process alive that fuels general interest into FLOSS.

I agree.

In this respect I have not seen very much empirical material and I would
appreciate if there would be some guidance into working models.

Events, dear boy... a view from Apache
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/03/29/apache_quality_open_source/

  "In summary, Apache's success is backed by strong organisation and
   effective processes. It is indeed disorganised in the sense that
   individual developers have much more freedom than in a commercial
   environment. That's nothing but good: a free developer is a motivated
   and productive developer, and peer review provides ample checks and
   balances - even leaving time for the tedious bits such as bugfixes!
   The bottom line - three times the market share of its nearest
   competitor. Next time you hear the argument that a market leader will
   be the product to suffer security exploits, just cite Apache's track
   record!"

OSDL fires up open source welfare program
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/03/29/osdl_fund/

  "OSDL has announced the creation of a Fellowship Fund that will
   provide financial support for software developers working on Linux
   and open source projects lacking the financial resources to get their
   job done. Allocations will be determined by OSDL's board of
   directors, who OSDL said will judge priorities and levels of
   financial commitment."