[ox-en] Re: GNU/Linux distributions and commerce

Hi Florian, Stefan,

your two diagnoses of the relation between communities and distributions
could not be farther apart.....it is confusing and shows how little we
really know.

I also tend to deny the simplistic worldview that "software that has
nothing to do with firms is simply better".

But if Oekonux shall lead us somewhere we must ask about the relation of
both parts and the different ways communities sustain themselves,
maintaining their fundamental independence from commercial interests, yet
keeping the process alive that fuels general interest into FLOSS.

In this respect I have not seen very much empirical material and I would
appreciate if there would be some guidance into working models.

The only one that I have seen so far and also basically understood
financially is twilight/ronja, "the distributor does not pay a dime to the
developer, but the developer is doing succesful fundraising". oops, not
what I would have LIKED to hear, but definitely a clear fact.

Is it possible for someone with insight to give a short account of the way
the most successful free projects handle this issue?

maybe not stick to GNU/Linux alone which is a special case by itself
because there is so much fundamental interest from many sides that many
groups can afford to try out different ways.

Franz