Re: Type of communities (was: [ox-en] Multi-local societies and Global Villages)

2006/6/3, Michael Bouwens <michelsub2003 yahoo.com>:

What I discovered in the East, in Thailand, where I live, is the power of the
extended family, how naturally it makes people more balanced and happy, and
how poor life in the West seems now that I know this.

Can you describe more extensively what is the thailandese extended
family? Is it something similar to the concept of "clan" or to the
pre-modern european rural family?