Re: Type of communities (was: [ox-en] Multi-local societies and Global Villages)

I don't think it is clan-based (like it is in China), but in the village structure, the 3 generations would live together.

  For example, it is said that with the 97-98 crisis, which was extremely severe with more than one million people losing their job in the capital, they just went back to the countryside, which absorbed the shock.

  The main problem with the extended family is that the parents are often moving to bangkok for work, leaving their children behind with the remainder of the extended family, usually the grand parents or some aunts or uncle.

  Within the family, there is great solidarity, but almost none outside, the outside world is distrusted (with the exception of the royal family and the monkhood, though that must be qualified as well). Example: when my wife moved to Belgium, she gave her car to a cousin (didn't sell it). When I arrived here, I lived 18 months without paying rent in a aunt's house).

  There's much more to say about this fascinating subject ...

  Michel

magius <gmagius gmail.com> wrote:
  2006/6/3, Michael Bouwens :

What I discovered in the East, in Thailand, where I live, is the power of the
extended family, how naturally it makes people more balanced and happy, and
how poor life in the West seems now that I know this.

Can you describe more extensively what is the thailandese extended
family? Is it something similar to the concept of "clan" or to the
pre-modern european rural family?