Re: [ox-en] Re: Free Software is not a gift

Hello Stefan

Stefan Merten wrote:

and if there is no exchange there
will be no social relationship
How do you come to this conclusion ? Is all relationship exchange ?
I think if you - in a strict sense - follow the basic idea of gift-exchange; as being the foundation of all social relationships through the building/creation of reciprocity between partners.

I think I understand what you mean here. Isn't this a rather personal
type of social relationship which is created this way? Isn't, however,
one of the characteristics of modern societies that they don't need
this type of personal social relationships?

As a characteristic - no, I would have to say no, is is highly relevant to keep looking at reciprocity as one of the essential building blocks of basic social organization. But there are more than one kind of social organization, at least it is needed, in this context, to make a distinction between form of 'organization' which are build on either 'exchange' or 'sharing' --> then this is a re-telling of what is the essentila value system of a given society.

For me these comment came onto the list as part of a "writing-in-progress" project. Where I already before I "stumbled" over oekonux.org was wondering about the 'gift/not-gift' reality of free software --> leading me to the point of taking a closer look at a small sidebranch of anthropological material which is focused on "primitive hunter-gatherer societies' and the debate about how to understand 'their' particular social organization which is based on 'sharing'.

Then I found and began reading through the oekonux site, and could read that the basic premise "it is not a gift" was accepted --> though without any extended argument (to me it more stood forward as a provocation, which I definitely like and thing is correct). On the other hand - it would be interesting to elaborate further on the question: What is it then, if not a gift?

So I would like to ask everybody --> please submit references (in the academic sense) on this specific subject; the combined question of free software and 'not-gift' :)

Chz

--

Gregers Petersen
Anthropologist, Ph.d fellow