Re: [ox-en] Re: Free Software is not a gift

Gregers Petersen wrote:

Then I found and began reading through the oekonux site, and could read
that the basic premise "it is not a gift" was accepted --> though
without any extended argument (to me it more stood forward as a
provocation, which I definitely like and thing is correct).
On the other hand - it would be interesting to elaborate further on the
question: What is it then, if not a gift?

I find this to be a rather strange question. "What else is the earth if not
a disk" ? Aren't there an infinity of alternate possibilities ?

So I would like to ask everybody --> please submit references (in the
academic sense) on this specific subject; the combined question of free
software and 'not-gift' :)

Even though I'm not an academic, but a FS practitioner, I kindly ask my
argument to be considered:

Neither myself, nor my employer, work on Free Software for altruistic
reasons, but because we scratch our respective metaphorical itch.

There may be plenty of other good reasons to do it, but this is what
makes this a sustainable 'business' in the current society.

There, I'v said it. Take it as a constructive provocation to get into
a real discussion. ;-)

Regards,