Re: [ox-en] Free Software and social movements in South America

Hi Rafael and all!

Last month (31 days ago) Rafael Evangelista wrote:
There is some specific places where you can find gnu/linux in Brazil.
It's not a thing spread in the whole country.

Can you tell us something about the distribution? Especially I'd find
it interesting to learn about for instance the distribution between
urban and rural areas.

There is the telecentros. Most of them use free software but it depends
on the region.

I guess the telecentros and their use of Free Software contribute most
to the perception of the usage of Free Software for social movements.

Am I right when I think that telecentros are something like public
Internet cafes?

And I think it is correct to say that most of the NGO are aware of free
software but, in fact, not many are using it.

On the left-wing / alternativa media (with whom I've been working some
years), most have changed their servers to free software, although just
a few use free software on their desktops.

So there is probably actually not much of a phenomenon?

We need to know whether there actually is some interesting phenomenon
or whether this is only a certain perception which doesn't match the
reality.

On the other side I've been in Germany some times (my girlfriend studies
in Stuttgart) and the only free software I have seen was in the cheapest
computer for sale in a big eletronic store. In fact, I have installed
free software on the laptops of three of my girlfriend's colleagues.

Sounds familiar ;-) .

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.