Re: [ox-en] Free Software and social movements in South America

Hi alejood and all!

Last month (31 days ago) alejood wrote:
FYI on the topic of LA
www.installfest.info

some <100 cities <10 countries in one day installing linux and
celebrating the day...

is not the first time and in a month we will do for the second time
some open source video streams, see last year screenshots:
http://flickr.com/photos/alejoduque/sets/72157594285009189/

I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you please explain?

so, i dont see the point in generalizing the state of SL in LA
                                                        ^^ Software Libre?
according to one experience in one particular country,

I already expected that generalizing for all Latin American countries
is not possible. So we need to distinguish different situations.

in colombia
from where i am, theres a stromg and growing community but the
goverment had 2 weeks ago the visit from bush and gates at the same
time....the colombian president alvaro uribe is a big fan of them so
you can imagine the gov support FLOSS has in colombia.

Well, from an European perspective I'd say the strength of the
goverment support has little importance for the use in social
movements. However, I guess the relationship between leftist
goverments and social movements is quite different in Latin America so
there may be a difference.

Especially in Brazil I have the impression that the Lula goverment is
furthering social movements and together with the general trend for
Free Something in Brazil this ends up in a combined effect of higher
usage of Free Software in social movements.

Am I correct?

Please note this message is written on an offline laptop
and send out in the evening of the day it is written. It
does not take any information into account which may have
reached my mailbox since yesterday evening.