[ox-en] Report on KLab9 workshop

Hi Oekonuxis!

I'm just returning home from Lancaster and thought I'd tell you a bit
about the workshop

	 Free Software and art - Similarities and differences

Raoul and I did on the KLab9 event yesterday.

The workshop went very well and after our presentation we had an
interesting discussions among all participants. Though the slides
[http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/StefanMerten/KLab9Worksheet/Slides] were
packed with information I had the impression we were able to give at
least an idea of what Oekonux is about and raised quite a lot of
interest. May be some of the participants will show up here on the
list - which I'd welcome very much.

We were also able to pose a lot of questions which most of them are on
the slides. We got little answers during the workshop but after
thinking again it would probably have been expected too much to get
substantial results in this rather ad-hoc setting.

However, we have the Internet and especially this mailing list here to
continue what seems to me like an interesting research project for
Oekonux. Indeed I think there are some interesting links between Free
Software and art and if in Oekonux some think culture is the next
onionskin in the onionskin model it certainly makes sense to look at
these links - and also at the differences. If we do well we may end up
in better explanations why some things work and others don't.

That's also the reason why I'm cross-posting this to Kristina (a
participant) and Amy and Ana (the organizers). @Amy / Ana: Feel free
to forward this to you mailing list (though further discussion should
be done on the Oekonux mailing list).

In particular Kristina made a couple of interesting remarks which I
think could help research. For instance she remarked that there are
different intellectual histories in the art scene and the Free
Software (also political?) scene. Probably true but I'd really like to
learn more about this.

She also said that it would be useful to try to develop some common
language so artists and engineers / political people at least know
what each other is talking about. Certainly something useful because
for instance the distinction between form and content as Kristina used
it seemed rather different to my understanding of this distinction.

Finally she suggested to agree on a list of ten books about art to
suggest to interested persons to read. Well, I'd probably have a hard
time reading even one ;-) so I'd prefer id such a list should probably
prioritized or at least commented. @Kristina: Can you produce such a
list?

In any case I'm ready to document results of such research in the
section of the Oekonux Wiki under

	http://en.wiki.oekonux.org/Oekonux/Research/FreeSoftwareAndArt

I started by posing all the questions there.