Re: [ox-en] Terminology: Peer X?

Hi,

Stefan Merten wrote:
4 days ago Christian Siefkes wrote:
But I would be careful about attaching a new prefix to old terms, since the
old terms might not just give up their old meaning. There is a reason we
talk about "presidents", not about "democratic kings".

Therefore, I don't talk about "peer governance" in my book, but simply about
"decision making and conflict resolution", since I think that these are the
two aspects of governance that remain relevant in a peer context, while
other aspects of governance-as-we-know-it-today no longer matter.

But that's also true for production, isn't it? Or wouldn't you think
that sweat shops - which are typical for some of today production
processes - would vanish?

Yup. But let's look at the definitions of these terms (from dictionary.com):

gov·ern·ance
1.	government; exercise of authority; control.
2.	a method or system of government or management.

pro·duc·tion
1.	the act of producing; creation; manufacture.

pro·duce
1.	to bring into existence; give rise to; cause.
2.	to bring into existence by intellectual or creative ability.
3.	to make or manufacture.

I don't think that "government", "exercise of authority", or "control" are
adequate terms for the decision making and conflict resolution processes we
can observe in free software/free culture products, and even "management"
sounds a bit far-fetched.

On the other hand, the definitions of "produce" and "production" seem to fit
quite well.

That's why I would use these latter terms in a peer context, but not the
former one.

Best regards
	Christian

--
|-------- Dr. Christian Siefkes --------- christian siefkes.net ----------
| Homepage:    http://www.siefkes.net/     | Blog: http://www.keimform.de/
| Producto AG: http://www.testberichte.de/ | OpenPGP Key ID:    0x346452D8
I suggest that shareable goods are but one instance of a broader
phenomenon outlined by the literature on social norms, social capital,
and, most directly, common property regimes. Social production and
exchange comprises a third system of production, a class of solutions to
production problems that is separate from, and can complement or
substitute for, the two more commonly studied systems: markets--through
both the price system and the firm--and the state.
	-- Yochai Benkler, Sharing Nicely: On Shareable Goods and the
	   Emergence of Sharing as a Modality of Economic Production