Re: [ox-en] Re: Importance of price

Hi Franz,

Are you recovering well? How are you doing?

My sense is that your answer actually confirms my
distinction about generalized benefit-sharing vs.
individual revenue-sharing, with the former being less
anti-thetical to the non-reciprocal engagement that is
characteristic of peer production.

I also think it is entirely possible to match a core
of  non-reciprocal peer production, which receives
generalized support, with an ecology of businesses
and/or cooperatives which operate in the marketplace
through added value to that commons.

I would be very interested in formalizing all the
positive ways in which monetization can support peer
production, in its core, or in its market ecology.

Did I mention that IBM reploughs 10% of the 90% it
saves through Linux, half of that going to general
support for Linux, half of it to its own employees
working on IBM-needed specifications.

MIchel

My apologies for the time it took to respond to this
one.
--- Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada reflex.at> wrote:

list-en oekonux.org writes:

If you get specific payment for peer production,
then it is no longer
peer production, this is not just 'some' danger,
but actually fatal
(though of course it can be free software as
property format)

I dont agree, there CAN be circumstances where
payment supports peer
production and is very viable to make it work. From
the sponsored Oekonux
conference to IBMs billion dollar investment in
Linux there is a lot of
"meeting ground". Funds can be directed so the
outcome is beneficial for
both sides. I see the P2P foundations function in
future as a channel for
such funding - thats also a bitter challenge with
lots of corruption
dangers.

A macro-solution is the provision of a generalized
nonconditional income
which allows peer production to occur
Microsolution is companies hiring peer producers
but paying them
unconditionally, so that peer production can occur

Both solutions are very unlikely to happen unless
there is an economic
incentive to the moneyholders or to the state.

A medium solution would be a set of transitional
labour market policies
which would ease various transitions between peer
production and the
market.

Thats the Frithjof Bergmann Solution - but still it
has not been tested in
reality. The incentive is that peer production
gradually complements the
dying "welfare state".

Companies can also provide 'benefit-sharing' to
support the 'general
infrastructure' of the commons on which they
depend.

Yes - that could be a CSR issue, Corporate Social
responsibility, but
where do they direct their funds? Here we are again
at the beginning.

Franz

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at  http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html; video interview, at http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm

Be a better friend, newshound, and