Re: [ox-en] Labor contradictions

Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:19:39 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] (GMT) Michael Bauwens wrote:

Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:57:02 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED] (GMT) Stefan Merten wrote:

The core question to me here is: Could peer production modes help
social struggles? In Germany for instance where we have high
unemployment and poorness on the rise I can not see where peer
production modes are adopted by those (also marginal) social
struggles. IMHO the reason for this is: Peer production has no special
appeal to the unemployed.

it does, at first principle, even if it´s just a matter of getting a mate to proof read a benefits claim or a job application form

and later, at other principles, what used to be said around here, at the beginning of the eighties was this:

if thatcher stays in power much longer, we´ll all know why our darker cousins can sing and dance so well -- there´ll be no other work for us to do

Is that really so? I know the world and practice of NGO's, philanthropy etc.. has known significant changes, as does political practice in general, as we can see in the US election ... of course not a dominant role in a totally different logic yet, but a significant factor of change nevertheless.

agreed

i am reminded of a quote

One of the most insightful observations about American politics comes from Mario Cuomo, the Democratic governor of New York from 1983 to 1995, who said: "You campaign in poetry, but you govern in prose." -- Michael Tomasky

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2235632,00.html

-- adam