[ox-en] Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] Re: [ox-en] built-ininfinitegrowth (was: Re:Meaning ofmarkets, scarcity, abundance)

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:39:15 [PHONE NUMBER REMOVED], Gregers Petersen <gp.ioa cbs.dk> wrote:

Apart from Mauss - what have you read?

What a bizarre question.

I asked you to help me understand your arguments. You seem interested
primarily in establishing qualifications.

I don't think I've stated that competition was something completely new
- I just made the attempt at stating that the importance of the
"competitive" element took over during the direct colonial contact.
Further, "competition" does not need to be tied to "expansion".

Well, if the competition is based on always giving more than received it
does, no?

I just made the statement that 'kula' is not money,

Your implications where that kula not being money cast doubt upon my
contention
that money originates in tribute and prestige exchange and not in exchange
of surplus
among direct-producers.

If you believe my beliefs are false, I challenge you to change them and
replace
them with correct ones, you can not do that by casting doubts, allusions to
unreferrences matieral
and appeals to authority.

Nicholas Thomas: Entangled objects. 1991, Harvard University Press.

When I ask for a reference, I expect you to explain and apply what you have
learned from this book
so that your knowledge can help the rest of us.

Simply adding adding entries to our reading list is not really much of a
contribution.

Why should that particular book be read? What does it argue? What has it
helped you understand? How is that relevant to
what we are discussing here? etc...

--
Dmytri Kleiner
editing text files since 1981