Re: [ox-en] Peer Economy. A Transition Concept.

Hi Franz and all!

3 days ago Franz Nahrada wrote:
* Fabbers work on the base of "Bit-Dust",

Bit-dust is a nice term :-) .

I have had long talks with people who praise the fabber as a universal
production solution.

Please note: I'm not saying this. I just say they are another step on
a long staircase.

And if comparing this to the digital information world: There are also
not only chips but a lot of other things which are needed to make
those bit streams flow. In this sense fabbers can be seen as building
blocks.

I really think that the better solution is in a
combination with cnc and robotics and other ways of information driven
processes - allowing us to working with multiple materials, which might
mean that there is a rich automated infrastructure working with special
materials.

Certainly. I'm not trying to hype a certain technology but a general
concept which may "materialize" into several types of technology.

I always point to the fact that biological processes are mostly
information driven and nature is an incredible storehouse of automation,
that we have hardly understood.

Yes. Why should biological processes be not part of these types of
technology?

* So the real problem is the claim that physical goods are rival.

Well, I thought about this just this morning when I woke up :-) .
Indeed not all physical goods are rival. AFAIK classical economy knows
non-rival physical goods such as roads. Classical economy usually
thinks that these must be public goods and therefore have a tendency
to make those a responsibility of the state - at least in the past.

But traffic jams show that non-rival goods can get rival if they are
too limited for a certain situation.

Another category are things which are used up while being used - such
as food. Or to be more precise: Which are made for being used up. But
even those are hard to make scarce when they are ample.

We now
see a tragcic case that seems to support the concept of rivalness
(biofuels vs. food).

Absolutely.

My claim is that a reasonable planetary management
would lead to physical abundance, and gradually eliminate rivalness.

Yes!

AFAICS rivalness is a concept which can be applied to things as such.
Whether they are ample or not is not part of this concept. But if
ampleness exists then rivalness is no problem. That is indeed
important to understand.