Re: [ox-en] reprap, exploitation, free goods etc

Franz,

I think it could be very productive to explore retrofitting new cars. In
fact, I am advocating fro the retrofitting of all existing industrial and
urban/suburban infrastructure. Cars included. Plus, I'd like to create a
base of open knowledge for the deconstruction/reconstruction of existing
waste materials, to be reconstituted into a technical cycle as raw materials
for technology, but making the knowledge about the processes open,
copylefted. Later this year, I plan to launch this knowledge base.

I think that the Hilmar Simon model has lots of promise. Existing autorepair
and fabrication shops can of course easily play a part. And, all of these
Open source car projects also open up the possibilities for new businesses.
Over here, in Michigan, right now (in Ann Arbor, MI) there are folks
creating "coworking" around fabrication shops. So, individuals are pooling
money to buy spaces and equipment and share a flexible fabrication
workspace. This is the early/beginning of a new type of business that can
fill in lots of research, development, design, and production gaps.

(What's funny is that tiny little fabrication shops right here in Michigan
are where many of the early cars came from. So transportation could come
full circle)

Also, check this out, about a US $20,000 car (not open source)
http://www.aptera.com/

The design of this car shows the direction that care design in general could
go in. Big US auto makers are having trouble filling orders for hybrid cars
in the US. So, small companies like aptera are now enjoying some success.

I think it's actually not a stretch, given current conditions, that a
company that decides to create an open source car could get some funding for
the initial development. Or, a company could take an existing design from
one of the existing open source car projects and use it as a "core" to save
some time and money, and could probably gather some funding as well.

In the US, I think a retrofitting service could flourish, if the business
were created carefully. A powerplant package could be created to drop in
place of several car models, even big SUV's and trucks! And it could be open
design/copyleft license. It would take an alliance/cooperation among people
who have the knowledge to design and maintain the powerplant package, and
the installer businesses that put them in. The designers have a big stake in
open design, because it drives down their costs, and opens up a lot of
freedoms for them. many of them could work independently, making money by
customizing the core designs for special orders, for instance.