[ox-en] Re: P2P Foundation 2008 fundraising drive: please support our efforts

Hi Sam,

Thanks for thinking this true (typo, = through).

Some responses:

- There is a lack of an application-oriented pattern language among some
people in this network that leads to polarization at times.

I agree, and think you are talking specifically about your recent experience
with Oekonux.

What is the p2pfoundation: it is first of all a very small group of
contributors, no more than half a dozen really, and they are building what
you call the knowledge commons (and the reality is still that I'm probably
doing about 80%, if not more, of that effort); this is surrounded by a
community of people actively interested in what we are doing, and that are
engaged in various dialogues; this is what you call our social network; the
few dozen people in our own mailing list, the people who write emails, who
registered at Ning: in total a few hundreds, especially if we count the
people who have put us in their feeds; but these people are of course in
turn connected to many thousands more; finally, the category of "mere
users", for example those responsible for the the 3.5 m pageviews in 18
months of our wiki.

I'm assuming that these 3 layers profit in varying degrees from both the
knowledge and the social network, while I'm hoping that we participate in
the more diffuse general dialogue about the new types of society that we are
moving too.

Now indeed, with some people, like Oekonux, we can occasionally have a more
heated exchange, though from what I've seen outside of our own circles, we
are still extremely civil, and despite the different underlying metaphysics,
we do share many common drives.

- One thing that might be helpful here is if we knew of others ways to
sustain the commons beyond money. Understood that money is needed, but what
else is needed?

I think that the answer is clear: participation in the building of the
resources is important, but what else? If I look at my own situation, I see
really only money as key to have a little more stability in my own efforts.
It is basically liberating myself about the constant worry of being able to
bring food on the table, and pay for medical expenses when they occur.

Anyway, I'm far from sure we are in 'stasis', as I think we are continuing
to make steady progress both in the knowledge and networking commons, though
participation could a  lot better, but I think there is no magic there.

And I think we are already organisation-less, with the foundation itself
only a flimsy legal layer, that's only there to be legally able to raise
funds so far. We can't become leaner than we are Sam, the P2P Foundation is
just a 'brand' or identity, but one that I think is very important and am
not willing to give up. It's the intangible depository of the 'value' we are
creating.

- The first step is to help everyone understand that they are playing the
"tragedy of the commons" game, and not the prisoner's dilemma.

I don't think there is a tragedy of the commons in our kind of context, at
least not as traditionally understood. Rather that in current period, both
knowledge and social connections are abundant and considered to be a free
resource, so that people don't see the real effort and sacrifice (but of
course mostly joy), that goes into building it, and they rely on it as part
of their diet, not fully convinced how important it is, and therefore not
driven to contribute.

- I am calmly suggesting that the need for you to do this, while definitely
necassary in the short term, is a sign that in the long term the "commons"
is in possibly in danger of failing.

This is tricky, because my underlying feeling is, simply, that at whatever
cost, I will keep this thing going, and unless a major catastrophe occurs,
it will <g>. The strange thing is that, when the times where most difficult
(they are a little better already), it is really the personal appears of
hardship that got the money flowing, even though I'm constantly told by good
friends that this is 'not good for my image'.

This may be true, in terms of image, but as we see now, it is even more
difficult to get a reaction for the foundation's work in a more neutral way.

I'm suggesting that I really have a lack of skills in some areas, that I'm
quite monomaniacal in my efforts, and that some of these things are very
hard or even impossible to change, so that the hope is that indeed other
people take it up, when they have the complementary skills.

Some people, like you Sam, have been doing this, but overall, the efforts
are still much too personal. This could be due to the limitations of the
project, but also to personal limitations, i.e. not the right kind of
charisma or leadership skills, the unwillingness to do certain things

<I'm pretty sure it is not too difficult to draw up a budget for the P2P
Foundation (my salary, some contributions for others, and the physical
infrastructure costs), but I would really benefit from someone taking it on
himself/herself to drive and organize that process,

- In my opinion, this just adds to the overhead cost that a formal
organization tends to impose. I would like to humbly suggest that we can
explore options in ways that bypass applying formal organization, unless
formal organization really is the best solution. >

When I look around, successfull and strong projects do not draw their money
from voluntary contributions, but from a professional staff that is
full-time engaged in fundraising from private or public donors, or that can
organize professional drives. I want to do the very minimum to obtain some
of that, while staying organisation-less as much as we possibly can.

- Instead, I'd like to suggest that we think about organizing among commons
stakeholders in ways that are more agile, and save the utility of formal
organization for when it is needed (such as for legal reasons, etc). We are
already doing this to a degree, we just need to do it more.

I agree totally, the question is how.

We're learning as we go and we are doing the best we can, and if more of us
do that, we will get there!

Thanks for your input Sam, it is very valuable, though now I'm torn between
those who say I should professionalize 'more', and people like you, who say
I should do less. My instinct is to do the least possible in overhead, but
still that minimum does need monetary support.

Michel