RE: Money as a dominant social relation (was: Re: [ox-en] There is no such thing like "peer money")

[1  <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
Money becomes important in those societies in which the state commutes
tax revenues from labour services to symbolic taxes in tokens issued
by the state. When this occures it enforces the spread of commodity
production.

It was certainly a factor in the demise of feudalism in europe, but it also
reached a high level of development in the slave economies of the roman empire
and the Hellenistic/Ptolomaic kingdoms which preceeded it.

In these cases the existence of money accelerated the transition from
petty farmers to slave production.

Forstater gives a good account of a more recent instance, the penetration
of monetary relations into Africa under British and French colonial rule.
http://cas.umkc.edu/econ/economics/faculty/Forstater/papers/BookChaptersEnclopediaEntries/TaxDrivenMoney.pdf

to capitalism in English, see
Pre-Capitalist Modes of Production - HINDESS, BARRY AND PAUL Q. HIRST

Passages from Antiquity to Feudalism, Perry Anderson, http://www.amazon.com/Passages-Antiquity-Feudalism-Verso-Classics/dp/1859841074

Pierre Villar, History of Gold and Money,

As translations of German works Webers Agrarian Sociology,
and Kautsky's Foundations of Christianity,
contain relevant material, I think Anderson mistakenly attributes to Weber, some things
that Kautsky had said earlier.

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow